Brigadier General S.M. LACROIX, CD
Director General of the Secretariat of the Inter-American Defense Board
Brigadier General Stephen Lacroix began his military career in Germany after being commissioned in the Royal Armored Corps of Canada (Armor). He has held several Command positions at platoon, squad and regiment levels with the Royal Canadian Dragoons, 8th Canadian Hussars (Princesse Louise’s) and the 12th Armored Regiment of Canada, where he commanded between 2009 and 2011.
Its operational and international experience is diverse.
- He was sent to the United Nations Mission in El Salvador in 1992, where he served as Military Observer, Operations Officer, Staff Officer and Assistant Commander of the Mission.
- He was reassigned to a United Nations Mission in 1994, this time in Haiti. During this commission, he served as Military Observer and Liaison Officer between the Dominican Republic and UN forces stationed in the neighboring country.
- In 1996, he was assigned to the Mission in the former Yugoslavia, as Operations Officer of the 5th Canadian Multinational Brigade.
- In 2004, he was appointed Chief of Staff of the Canadian Contingent in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- In 2010, he served as Advisor to a Regional Chief of the Afghan National Police, responsible for the operations of 22,000 police stationed in the most unstable south provinces of the country.
His major functions, outside his Rules of Engagement, include positions at the Cavalry School, at the headquarters of the 5th Mechanized Brigade, at the Army Command and Staff, and at the Canadian Armed Forces Headquarters. He served as Assistant to the Canadian Army Commander-in-Chief from 2011 to 2012 and Special Advisor to the Deputy Chief of Defense Staff from 2013 to 2015. He assumed the Command of the Third Division Canada Support Group in 2015.
Brigadier General Lacroix speaks three languages (English, French and Spanish) and is also competent in Portuguese.
He has taken the following courses: Army Staff Course; the Army Command and Staff Course; Joint Command and Joint Staff Program of the Armed Forces and; National Security Program (War School). He has a degree in Arts with a major in Translation, McGill University and in Military Sciences and Arts, and a Master’s Degree in Defense Studies from Royal Military College. Brigadier General Lacroix is married with Isabelle Jean and has two daughters: Ophelia and Celeste.