The Organization of American States (OAS), through Resolution AG/RES. 2925 (XLVIII-O/2018) “Advancing Hemispheric Security: A Multidimensional Approach”, entrusted the General Secretariat, with the support of the Inter-American Board, the execution of the VIII Forum on Confidence- and Security-Building Measures.
On March 14, 2019, the VIII Forum on Confidence- and Security-Building Measures was held at the “Casa del Soldado”, under the responsibility of the OAS Committee on Hemispheric Security. Its objective was to examine and evaluate existing CSBMs as well as to formulate new ones, taking into account the multidimensional approach to hemispheric security, in addition to raising awareness about the new OAS database and on the method of reporting such measures.
The Forum was chaired by Ms. Helaina Stein of the United States Delegation to the OAS with lecturers presenting the following:
– Report of the IADB on the Annual Inventory of CSBMs implemented in 2017 and published in 2018 – Capt. Carlos Botelho, from the IADB.
– Status of ratification and implementation of the Inter-American Convention on Transparency in Conventional Weapons Acquisitions (CITAAC) – Ms. Paulina Duarte, OAS SSM.
– Confidence- and Security-Building Measures System (CSBM) – Mr. Javier, OAS SSM Seminar.
– United Nations Register of Conventional Arms – Mr. Daniel Prins of UNODA.
– United Nations Standardized Reporting Instrument for Military Expenditures.
– Military personnel – Mr. Daniel Prins, from UNODA.
– Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) – Gen. Antônio Gordoa, Permanent Observer of Spain to the OAS.
– Conference of Defense Ministers of the Americas (CMDA) and the follow-up activities of the CSBMs – Brig. Gen. Roberto Molina, Mexican Delegate to the OAS.
– Vision of Brazil’s actions in the promotion of CSBMs – Capt. Eduardo Dias, Marine Corps, Brazilian Representation in the Inter-American Defense Board.
– The CARICOM Regional Security System – Colonel Jeffrey Forde, Barbados Defense Force.